Saturday, November 26, 2011

Went to Boise for Turkey Day. Tried to teach the grand baby to bark and growl like a dog. Only, my little weenie dog cries like a little girl. Well at least now she makes yippy noises. I did give her the top of the whipped topping lids. YUM.




I really wanted to have the holiday here at our house this year. I've been thinking about it since Mom Linda said last year she thought we should do it here. I made Jeff promise to help me. I've made Turkey Dinner once, over Dad's with Wendy to help me. Loved Jeff's stuffing, but I'd like to try the stuffing I call Wendy every year and ask... how do I make that again? It just wasn't doable this year after two surgeries in four months. I looked for turkeys and hams on sale to stock in my freezer. Nothing was on sale enough to make me want to buy it. I can get four broiler chickens for the price of on turkey this year. And they taste better. The only thing I really missed was having the left overs.

 So I promptly came home and re-organized my freezer. I had the neck and gibbets from a turkey I made earlier this year. Two carcasses from rotisary chickens I saved. The left over veggies from Scott's chicken noodle soup. I made 5 quarts of chicken stock.

It'll go in the big freezer out in the garage that I cleaned out tonight. I still have to have Scott move the plywood behind it, so I can plug it in.

And while the soup was simmering merrily on the stove, I made bagels. This time, they actually tasted like bagels. The first time I made them, I don't know what the hell recipe I was following off the internet, but either I didn't follow it ( I didn't) or it sucked to begin with (it did),  but I didn't make bagels. I made inedible hockey pucks. Oh sure, everyone all Tried one, but I found bagels with one or two bites out of the in the garbage.

3-3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp active yeast
1-1/4 c warmed milk
1/4 c softened butter
1 egg yolk
1 egg white (optional)

Dissolve the yeast in the warmed milk. Add butter, salt, eff yolk, and mix well.
Mix in the flour, turn out onto a floured bread board, or counter and knead for 6-8 minuets.
Cover with a wet dish towel and let rise for one hour.
Punch down and knead for 1-2 mins.
Divide into 12 balls, and press two fingers through the middle of each ball to for the bagel hole.
Cover again and let rest for 10 mins while you bring a pot of water to a boil.
Pre-heat oven to 400.
Add two or three bagel at a time to the boiling water, and cook for 1 min on each side.
Remove with a slotted spoon to a greased baking sheet.
Bake bagels for 20-25 mins untill golden brown.
Remove from oven to a wire cooling rack.



Teh Spawn and I went to Eagle while we were in Boise, to deliver Spook's paper work to his new owners. I feel rotten after seeing Jess with her horse again.  I know she didn't want to sell him, but she was being very adult about it knowing we didn't have the money to buy hay for four horses through the winter. She walked into the paddock he was in and he was facing away from her. As soon as he saw her, he turned around and came walking right up to her and put his head in her chest. I felt like a jackass. He looks really good, and I know the new owners love him to death. She even sold the horse she already had before Spook, and made him her main ride. This pic breaks my heart. 



Tonight I'm making yogurt  in the crock pot and quiches.



Bacon cooked slow and crispy. I had a couple acorn squash halves from the other night, so I mixed them with cream cheese and added them to the eggs and bacon. I cooked one, and the other three are to go in the freezer to pop into the oven for breakfasts in the future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWinin

Try these other posts