Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Suasage balls, getting ready for the winter, calves are back, potato soup

I really like this picture. I'm not sure what appeals to me so much about it, but it does. It was taken quite a bit ago. I found it hiding on my camera. The camera has officially died. I'm so hard on them. I'm a clumsy clumsy girl, and I drop things. A lot. This is the camera Scott got for me two years ago for Christmas. It finally won't focus anymore. For a while it had a lens error show up on the screen, but if I turned it on and off a few times, it would resolve itself. No more. /sigh.  I'm stuck taking crappy pics with my phone for a while. I have a few to post today, and a recipe.

The title for this recipe is Sausage Balls. I didn't make it up. It's what they came with.
I pound any flavor you like sausage. I used the mild stuff from our Tasty Pig I had in the freezer
4 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 cups bisquick
2 shakes of red pepper flakes
2 shakes garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350
Smosh and mash cheese and sausage together with your hands. Add the a half cup or so of the Bisquick, the garlic salt, and the red pepper flakes and mash some more. Keep adding the Bisquick a half a cup or so at a time. Adding any more will make it a pain to mix in. As is, it's already tough to work in as you get to the last of the Bisquick. Once the ingredients are all mashed together well, spray a cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray. Roll the mixture in your hands to form a ball a little smaller than a golf ball. I made mine a little bigger than that, but next time I would make them smaller.

Bake in the oven at 350 for 10 mins. My oven cooks a little hotter, so I set them at 340. Take the pan out and flip the balls over. They should have browned on the bottom by now. Back in the oven and bake for 15 more mins.
I liked them. Scott liked them. Next time I would not add garlic salt, and instead add just a clove or two of crushed garlic. They were salty enough without adding any. Scott says they are a keeper recipe.

These two shots were taken Oct 31st when Scott and I went up above Princess mine to go looking for a deer on the last day of hunting season. Mostly it was just to go for a ride, and see if the horses would behave while firing a big gun by them.

 Scott took a few days a little while back and on his days off, tore apart my, and his saddle, and gave them a deep, thorough cleaning. They both needed it terribly. 

The calves are back over and Andrea's next door. They spent some time over at BJ's mom's out on pasture, and just were over at our friend's, husband's, dad's pasture getting fat on grass. They are still little buggers, but they are Jersey steer, and those are dairy cows. They grow a lot slower, and have a lighter frame, and less meat than a beef cow. 

We had Lucas with us over the last weekend. We put a huge dent in the wood that needed to be cut, split, and stacked. The pile is a little over eight feet wide, a little over four foot tall, and I'm going to guess twelve foot long -ish. There is the two bottom shelves on the metal shelves by the back door in the garage filled as well. BJ next door let us use the wood splitter he had, and that made it go so much faster.  Lucas would put the eight foot logs up on the jig stand Scott built, Scott would wield the chainsaw cutting them into two foot lengths, and then I ran the splitter and threw them into the back of the bed. The guys stacked them while I pushed the pile out of the bed of the truck.

We fixed the plug on Andrea's trailer when we took the splitter back. The part that plugs into the back of the truck to power the lights on the trailer separated.  "We," meaning Scott.

After all that was done we finally took Uncle Mikes trailer back to him. We've had it all summer. It hauled two trips worth of wood, the tractor back and forth, our supply of hay for the horses for the winter, and my truck when the alternator went out. 
Hay all stacked and tarped for the winter.

 Today I'm making Potato Soup. Instead if using chicken stock I'm using turkey stock. I took the carcass from Thanksgiving's Day turkey, simmered it on the stove for 27 hours and used my pressure canner to make canned turkey stock for the first time.


  1. I've used my pressure canner/cooker to speed up the stock making. As a bonus, it also makes the bones soft so I crush them up and feed them to the chickens. Potato soup sounds good!

  2. The potato soup was yummiE! I made it quite a few times last year. Scott liked it. We had it in bread bowls. I know I can cook in my pressure canner, but I've never done it before. I'll have to look up in the net on some ways to use it.



Try these other posts