Thursday, June 20, 2013

Creepy Meats in Mah Freezer (warning, graphic pic alert)

Sunday was the big day to finish off the rest of the Creepy Meats. We did four of them earlier in the week. We just skinned them and parted them out. The other ten got the whole works. We set up the killing station, the camp stove with the big pot for scalding, the butcher island for plucking and gutting.

I went out and picked up the birds one at a time. We actually had some volunteers wander into the garage here and there so I didn't have to go looking for them. Flipped the birds upside down to relax it, slip it into the milk jug tucking in wings and feet. Then I reached up and pulled the head out the bottom. We didn't wack off the heads, just a quick slice where the head and neck me under the ear. They did flap and jerk as the blood drained into a bin full of shavings, but most of it was contained in the jug.

After a quick dunk in boiling water at the camp stove, Scott and Pat made really quick work if pulling the feathers. The was we did it was bringing the water to a boil, then backing off the heat to a simmer, somewhere around 157 degrees. Too hot, and in the water too long and the skin starts to cook. Too cold and the feathers won't pull out. 

After they were featherless, Larry made all their insides be on the outsides, the legs and neck came off, and into a cooler full of ice water to cool down. We rested them in the fridge over night, then I parted out some and froze others whole. We barbecued Tuesday evening and had wings, legs, and thighs. 

My thoughts on how the meat turned out was it wasn't exactly tough. It was hard to explain. It was like the difference in Al detente  noodles that are just barely done, and the mushy soft mess that Macaroni and Cheese gets to be. Store birds spend their whole life laying about as they grow. The get up, go to the feeder, walk over to the water, and then laze about again. My birds ran, jumped over things, they free ranged and actually used their muscles some. I didn't let them gorge and eat as much as they wanted.  I believe it made a healthier bird. 
Today I'm going to try a whole bird in the crock pot. 


  1. We've done five (or is it six, ugh, who knows) batches of the Cornish Crosses and honestly, we've had tough ones and we've had tender ones. But I haven't figured out the what's or why's as to what made them tough vs. tender. Some of the birds you just have to chew a few more times!

  2. I did one whole bird in the crockpot and finished it in the oven to crisp the skin. Amazing taste.

  3. Oh I remember these days as if it were yesterday we have slowed down a fair bit on the farm as far as diversity goes but I do miss having our own chickens. B



Try these other posts