The damned skunk over at Heather's put a end to the first batch of chicks. Sixteen chicks it killed in one night. I found eight carcasses stuffed under the front of the old shack. I still haven't killed the bastard. I did kill the one over here that took out the ducks and the goose. I shot two more juveniles out along the irrigation pipe out back on Dave's property.
I started another set of thirty seven, July 6th. I just candled them tonight. Two banty eggs I knew weren't going to give me anything were duds. I threw out nine more on top of those two. Three had a red blood ring in them, so they had started to grow something. Six more were complete duds. Nothing but yolk in them. One week and two days till I get any results.
The first couple times I set only green eggs, white or cream eggs, and just a few browns. The chicks that ended up barred were almost twice the size of the EE cross chicks that hatched from the green eggs. This time I set everything I could get my hands on. The brown eggs are going to be either Australorp/White Rock crosses or Sagitta/White Rock cross, and should be pretty decent sized birds for roasting or breasts. The rest will be just big enough to make a good pot of chicken soup, but they will all probably be freezer birds unless something hatches with a super neat feather coloring that I just have to keep.